Based on a preliminary assessment of existing service records, approximately 260 or 5% of the 5,500 active water service lines in Concord are believed to be composed of lead. Most of these service lines exist within private property. Records suggest a majority of the remaining service lines were installed prior to 1933 and are concentrated in the more populated village districts of Town.
In the mid-1980’s, the Division made a concerted effort to identify and eliminate lead service lines throughout the distribution system. The program, performed by Town forces, was offered at no or very low cost. For reasons not presently understood, the program ended in the early 1990’s.