NMI-Starmet Re-use Planning Committee
The property at 2229 Main Street is a 46-acre site once operated by the defense contractor Starmet, formerly Nuclear Metals, Inc. (NMI). The company made depleted uranium products for the U.S. Department of Defense, as well as other specialty metal products. Manufacturing operations resulted in soil and water contamination on the property. The site was placed on the U.S. EPA’s national priorities list in 2001 and is now a Superfund site. Significant progress has been made toward clean-up of the site, including the removal of contaminated soil from the holding basin and removal of the buildings and contents that were contaminated. The work that now remains is cleaning up contaminated soil and groundwater. This will require the responsible parties to sign a consent decree to fund the final remediation. In 2015, Concord Town Meeting voted to authorize the Select Board to acquire the property. It appears the consent decree could be finalized in the fall of 2018. The next phase of clean-up is expected to take four to six years. Therefore the timing is right for the town to consider how the property might best be re-used following the remediation.
The purpose of the Nuclear Metals/Starmet Property Re-use Planning Committee is to assist the town with identifying possible ways to reuse the property at 2229 Main Street for maximum public benefit.
|Gary Kleiman, Co-chair|
|Paul Boehm, Co-chair|
|Pam Rockwell, Clerk|
Typically meetings are held in the 1st Floor Conference Room, 141 Keyes Road at 8:00 a.m., however due to COVID-19 restrictions, for the time being, meetings are held virtually via Zoom. See posted agenda for meeting instructions.
- March 26, 2021 * Virtual meeting 8:00 a.m.
- April 2, 2021 * Virtual meeting 8:00 a.m.
- NMI/Starmet Reuse Planning Committee Report PDF
- Annex A - NMI Final Report 020720 by Skeo
- Annex B1 - NSRC Comment Matrix
- Annex B2 - Compilation of Public Comments to Report
- Annex B3 - Public Survey Responses on Potential Uses at the Site
- Annex C Case studies summaries KM
- Annex D - Consent Decree
- Annex E - EPA Information
- Annex F - Town Warrant 2015
- Public Input for NSRC 6-12-20
- Public Feedback Text and Questions_6_8_2020
- NMI Reuse Final Report April 2020
- Kleiman - Select Board Briefing 2.10.20-Final
- NMI Final Report 2.7.20 by Skeo
- CLRP Implementation Action Chart
- Initial Use List Envision Concord
- Letter from JBoynton
- NMI Reuse Suitability reuse committee review draft, June2019
- NMI-Starmet Re-use Planning Committee Charge
- Reuse Zones
- Potential_Uses_Aug 30 2019
- NMI_Reuse Assessment_091619
- NMI_Reuse Assessment
- NMI Starmet Reuse Committee Summary Memo 6.26.19
- NSRC draft report 7 Dec 2020