Submissions will be reviewed by an Advisory Committee consisting of Town of Concord staff, residents, business owners, and public art/placemaking enthusiasts. The group will review applications and work samples to select 3 to 6 semi-finalists. Semi-finalists will receive a stipend of $500 to refine their concepts and develop a complete design to present at a public forum in the Concord Town House in February 2024.
At the public forum each semi-finalist will be asked to detail their idea in a 10-minute presentation that shall include not more than 10 digital slides and two display boards. During a casual reception, semi-finalists will have an opportunity to talk more casually with attendees about their proposals.
A contract will be awarded in late March 2024 for installation in the autumn of 2024. As part of municipal contracting requirements, proof of general liability insurance is required.
Applications will be evaluated including, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Preference will be given to Massachusetts-based artists; BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ artists are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Artistic merit of body of work samples;
- Strong site-responsive design concept;
- Potential for artist’s work to engage passersby of diverse backgrounds in complex ideas in an accessible way;
- Feasibility of successful execution of project within the proposed time frame and budget;
- Effective communication and organizational skills; and
- Completeness of application.