1900 - 1910
On February 2, 1900, the Power House began generating electricity for the people of Concord. As a result, electric rates were "far below average" according to the Light Board. A minimum cost of 75 cents per month for electricity, "carefully used," was estimated to equal the cost of kerosene for lighting. Policy was set to furnish electricity "at cost" to all customers, while the Town would pay all street lighting costs. Electricity for street lighting was billed at 12 cents per kilowatt-hour.
That same year, the Light Plant spent $5.50 at Tuttle’s Stable for "horse hire", and while the Town learned to enjoy the benefits of electricity, its hazards were also experienced in 1907 when there was a "slight fire" at the Middlesex School caused by faulty electrical wiring. The first rate reduction took place in April 1907, from 12 cents to 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, with a 10 percent penalty for those who failed to pay their bills promptly. That same year, the town of Lincoln asked Concord to provide electricity, but it was believed that legislative action was required to comply.
"Our lines are in excellent condition; for this reason winter storms have affected the service but little," reads the 1907 Town Report. The next year, there were 535 meters on the system.