Private Versus Public Food Events

When a Permit is Required

The Board of Health, working through its staff protects the general public by promoting safe food handling and smart menu choices for large groups, especially those with at risk populations (the elderly, the very young, or those with weakened immune systems). The Health Division staff raises awareness of food-borne illness by offering guidance and information that encourages safe food preparation that will minimize adverse health effects. This collaborative effort between the Board of Health, it's staff and the users of non-profit kitchens allows groups to sponsor events like fund raisers, soup kitchens and community suppers without endangering the public health.

Public Events and Fund Raisers

Any event where food is served to the "general public" requires a temporary permit from the local Board of Health. A public event is defined as "an event that is advertised with fliers, banners, newspaper articles, radio or TV announcements, or by other means, (regardless of whether or not a fee is charged), is considered a public event and is subject to health code requirements of the regulatory authority." Churches, Temples, school groups and other non-profit groups often use food sales as a way to raise funds for their organization. Several factors are evaluated to determine the food safety of these events, such as:
  • Proposed menu
  • Condition of the facility where food is being prepared
  • Equipment provided
  • Food safety knowledge and handling
Events that propose a menu that includes Potentially Hazardous Foods (PHF) such as eggs, meats, mayonnaise-based foods and other foods that require temperature control, pose the highest risks and, therefore, must meet more stringent guidelines to insure food safety. No foods for a public event or fundraiser should be made in a home kitchen (except baked goods such as cookies, brownies or cakes or exempt potluck). A bake sale is the only public event that does not require a temporary permit.

Health Division staff can work with the "person in charge" of the event to assist in modifying menu choices or food preparation techniques that will reduce potential food hazards.

Catered Events

Events where a caterer prepares the food requires that the caterer register with the local Board of Health. Caterers must submit a copy of the proposed menu, identify the location of the event, indicate the number of guests to be served, provide a copy of the permit from the town in which they are licensed and provide proof of food safety training. If the food is prepared by a catered but service is done by another organization then a Temporary Event Permit must be obtained by the entity doing the food service.

Private Events

A private event is an exclusive group, which could include family, friends, neighbors or committee members meeting over a shared meal. In this type of situation, a temporary permit from the Board of Health is not needed. Food prepared in a home kitchen is allowed only at a private event, such as Potluck suppers).

Some events may ride the fine line between a public event and a private event, the Health Division is here to answer your questions and assist you with any additional information you may need to clarify whether a temporary permit is needed. Please contact us by phone at 978-318-3275.